Sunday, December 5, 2010

Open source stuff

I, being a poor college student, have a tendency to save money on my computer. The mouse is a gift I got for Christmas two years ago, the printer has a few problems but I got it for free after my parents decided to off it for a laser printer, and I don't have a real monitor or keyboard.

To run good programs, you need good software, something I am lacking. Unlike the other computers in the house, I rely primarily on open-source programs. They're not as good as real programs, but I'm not pirating (something I really try to avoid) and I'm not putting any DRM on my computer (something I also try to avoid). So far, I use OpenOffice.org instead of MS Word, and Scribus instead of Adobe InDesign (though admittedly I haven't tried that yet). I use free versions of SketchUp and blender (haven't used that yet).

The only thing that I wasn't satisfied with was using PlayOnMac as a WINE client to run Windows games. It was no replacement for Windows, and I plan on getting actual Windows soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment