Sunday, December 30, 2012

Eggnog

With Christmas wrapped up, it's time to talk about one of the many foods enjoyed during Christmas: eggnog. This year has been a bit different, with us going out and buying a bottle of Pennsylvania Dutch, a tasty alcoholic variety. The "bite" is there, which I think can be softened with a bit of milk and enhanced with a bit of nutmeg. While I wish I could mix good eggnog and hard spirits myself, it did the job.

But beyond the sweetness, there's a level of bitterness that's happened for years off and on, going back to 2002 at least. Often, two things would usually end up happening (maybe both).

Scenario One: My mother would buy low-fat, store-brand eggnog and wonder why it didn't taste very good.

Scenario Two: My mother would buy eggnog, severely restrict portion sizes, then wonder why it went bad so quickly.

While there were practical reasons for both, I still feel regret about these. At least this year's was good (as it was my brother and I that selected the eggnog from the local Spec's, mother uninvolved).

This year has been okay in terms of gifts: I got two CDs (both ELO, though I already bought Out of the Blue on iTunes), a bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee, an insulated travel mug, a bicycle light kit, good chocolate, a new USB charger for my iPod (one that works like it should, yay), a digital wall clock, Cook's Illustrated The Science of Good Cooking, a bottle of ramune soda, some snacks, some rather interesting chocolate flavors (New Orleans Chili, beef jerky, bacon and maple syrup), Expo markers, a backpack cover, a renewal to Amazons Prime, and a "chocolate cola cake mix".

No comments:

Post a Comment