Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Progress Moving Along

- In, Around, and About Brazos Valley is moving along readily. Condemned gardening stores, small strip centers, and times where you could buy Whataburger with your meal plan.
- I beat Portal! [This was a triumph.] Now it's onto other games in my existing backlog, which include The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. On the PC, however, I'm going to play Evil Genius, which I purchased recently from GOG.com. But first! A break. Portal took me almost a year to beat, even though I've played no more than 9 hours on it. I think I need to focus better.
- While cleaning out my room, I found a sheet of paper with roads on it, from May 2011, when I was creating a "dream city" (I had a huge list on the iPod, see):

Fast Food Boulevard
Crayton Avenue <- Westheimer
Bassett Road <- north merger
Nacogdoches Drive
Main Street
Troseman Street <- Montrose through
Octavius Avenue
Texas Avenue
Jefferson Highway <- not a real highway
Heights Blvd.
Mario Road
Gradient Street
Memorial Drive
Veterans Memorial Drive
Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Riverside Parkway
Capital Avenue


It's obviously Austin, Baton Rouge, and Houston inspired, although there are nods to other cities ("Octavius Avenue" is a nod to San Francisco's "Octavia Boulevard"). I wrote it in "Cousin L"'s old bedroom in the house where she grew up. Cousin L no longer lives there anymore, though. I think I mentioned Cousin L before, right?

- My scanner application doesn't work anymore (I updated it so its Universal Binary), so I can't show you my sketch, "Grocery Wars". Boo! Personally, my scanner is bulky (it's also an inkjet printer, which has problems) and I wish I had Photoshop, too.

- I started to write down (this is last summer, again) all the problems with the Windows port of the 1990 classic Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond the Mackerel, with the "A salad doesn't fret..." line repeated twice. It runs too fast in the iMac G3 (of course, I could get a speed throttler), too slow in Basilisk II ('lisk has a huge problem with transitions), probably not at all in SheepShaver (I believe its still 68k, and SheepShaver doesn't really have a 68k processor ready), and won't mount in Mini vMac. GRR.

- I also pulled out an old map from 2010 showing the new Metro lines in Houston, which were supposed to be complete by now (instead, there are some areas with track, but nothing beyond the 2004 stretch is running). I wish I could just go to the Northwest Transit Center and get to the majority of inner-loop Houston via train, but alas...

No comments:

Post a Comment