Sunday, May 13, 2012

Text clippings

Since I'm "cleansing" TWR of dozens of posts, ready to "reboot" it with a new theme and new posts, that means older posts are going by the wayside. That doesn't mean some will resurface here, like this one!

A word of caution to my fellow Mac users:

I have Mac OS 10.6 on my MacBook, and I had some text clippings from a Mac OS 10.5 iMac (G5). So I transferred them to Dropbox, but on the other end, it appended a .textClipping to them and managed to delete the entire contents of them. When Dropbox re-synced, *poof*. They were gone, ruined, corrupted. If anyone has this problem, please post here. Or if you know what happened, post here, too!


EDIT: The only way to properly "save" your text clippings is to stuff them (not zip them). Once I had my text clipping test in a .sit, it formatted normally on its transfer.

POSTED BY PSEUDO3D AT 12:11 PM

LABELS: HELP WANTED, LOST IN TRANSLATION, MAC OS X, MACINTOSH, WHEN THINGS GO WRONG

2 COMMENTS:

Seth said...
Text clippings store all their information in resource forks. The past decade has seen Apple transition from "resource forks" to "extended attributes" (a subset of something called "metadata") that can mimic those forks. There's a very good chance that DropBox does not store these extended attributes. If you zip the files before sending them to DropBox, the attributes will be encoded in such a way that it can be safely transmitted, though. See this article about resource forks and xattrs for more information.

JULY 22, 2010 5:28 PM
Pseudo3D said...
Zipping didn't work. This time, those weren't my only copies, so I'll try something else...

JULY 26, 2010 8:50 AM


It was originally named "Text Clip Panic"

No comments:

Post a Comment