Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Infused waters

Since I've been going to school, my university has rolled out compostable cups and utensils, and science has succeeded in creating some sort of fake plastic that is somehow both compostable AND sturdy. The water cups were the pinnacle of this, a "plastic" cup that was compostable, sturdy, and large (12 ounces, I think).

This semester, they rolled out "infused water", which basically consisted of various fruits (orange, watermelon, honeydew, strawberries, etc.) in cold water (and rosemary, too), and charging it for $1.85 a glass. I had tried some at the all-you-can-eat dining center on campus the previous week and wasn't impressed. Sure, it smelled like honeydew, or rosemary, or whatever, but the taste was just water. In any case, when I was getting the "ala carte" options, which is more common on campus and cheaper anyway, I avoided them.

So I was eating at the Memorial Student Center, which I have written about in great length before, and I had just gotten two slices of pizza and was looking to get water, there were no water cups by the soda fountain as normally are, so I walked over and grabbed one near the infused water.

When I was "checking out", the woman working at it (who was rude to me anyway, I could tell by the way she handled my credit card) informed me that those cups were for infused waters only and if I used one again, I'd be charged for an infused water, which of course got me kind of upset. Here all this time I never used the Pepsi cups (which were now some sort of white-and-green wax paper-based thing, even cheaper and flimsier than paper Pepsi cups usually are), and now they're telling me I can't even use the water cups anymore, forcing me to use the Pepsi cups for water. And here I thought they had just forgotten to restock them.

"Listen, lady," I snarled. "If this were an infused water, you would be able to smell it. It's just water. If I used a Pepsi cup, the ONLY other alternative out there, I could fill it up with Sierra Mist and pass off it as water. It's a water cup, it's meant to be filled with tap water. The people who get infused water should get a Pepsi cup and have it be charged as a fountain drink."

But I didn't actually say any of that, even if I had cut out the rude parts.
Instead, I just sighed, and started to look for a table.

No comments:

Post a Comment