Saturday, May 23, 2015

Better cafeteria food and other musings


So recently, I got some old film turned into photos. Walmart still has a photo center, but they don't process photos there, so it went to some facility and I paid out the nose for it (little prints and one roll, and still $10). The quality was junk, either from sitting in the camera for 7 years or bad transfers, but they did have some memories intact. [The photo above, in case you're thinking "Hey that doesn't look too bad", I did some partial digital restoration on that.]

One memory in particular was visiting the Midway High School in Hewitt, Texas for a fine arts competition (which fine arts did I do? Well, I won't share that) in late 2007, so here's that photo. It was a Subway in a school cafeteria, which I had never seen before. Unfortunately, due to the fact that it wasn't a school day, I didn't actually see it in operation. The only other indication that it was ever there was a Subway there was a mention in this review, and that indicates that despite draconian federal and state rules, there is still Pizza Hut available sometimes (the price at my high school on pizza days was high too, probably because they actually need to turn a profit and it's not subsidized). I'm surprised they mentioned Chick-fil-a too, because they only had that stuff in college, and even then it wasn't nearly as good as a real Chick-fil-a. (Later on in college, I moved to a neighborhood where a Chick-fil-a was less than a mile away but was perpetually crowded not just because it was a Chick-fil-a off a major thoroughfare but also close to a bunch of sorority houses)

No comments:

Post a Comment