Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring Break and Other Stories

I've only gone to Dallas just a few times, the first one that I remember a decade ago and one other since. So I got to Dallas again. While I sadly didn't take a lot of pictures or explore enough off of the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods to gauge which is a better city (important to note that Houston is much, much larger geographically while Dallas is hemmed in by suburbs), there are a few notes to take.

- Watched Joe Versus the Volcano, one of the last comedies Tom Hanks did before Philadelphia (see: "Tom Hanks Syndrome"). If you haven't seen it, it's a light comedy with some stabs at how miserable being a working stiff can be (however, it's only at the beginning but is undoubtably the best part of the film). If you have seen it, it has an awfully high body count for what could arguably count as a romantic comedy.
- Went downtown via DART and explored. Ate a hot dog from a food truck on top of Klyde Warren Park, an urban park built over a depressed freeway.
- I also saw the Dallas Museum of Art, which I didn't explore all of (the museum is about four floors, and they actually recommended taking the elevator, though because of a continually ramping first floor isn't at all difficult without elevators). One of my favorite paintings was something called "Sardine" (that one with the cat) by Charles Webster Hawthorne though I can't find anything on the Internet nor even the museum's website about it. Very strange.


I also went to a Fiesta store, which was more of a Hispanic-oriented supermarket than the stores I'm typically used to. There was cheap apple fritters and torta bread (both delicious), some interesting meat products (including a tub of pork fat, which was very greasy, even on the outside), and a little packet of dried shrimp that cost $5 (that I didn't buy, but the apple fritters and torta, yes)

I saw many unique and awesome things along the trip (including some very interesting gas stations) but I'm glad to be home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment