Thursday, January 2, 2014

Dressed to the fours...or the threes...or twos...or the ones...

My brother and I are very different people. He graduated from college several years ago, I have not yet done so. His idea of fun is being outdoors and doing things like rock climbing, while mine is playing video and computer games, and so forth.

One of his criticisms of me is that I dress poorly (he tends to hold this view to his older cousins, who have the excuse of being a computer programmer and telecommuting, respectively). He fails to understand that my wearing a t-shirt and baggy cargo shorts (or jeans, depending on the weather), and a general apathy toward shaving ("scruffy" at best) is totally normal for many in my position. For the females of the "college student" species, the trend has been in the last few years to have long t-shirts and leggings/tights (whether or not they actually look decent in this combo--some do, some do not) depending on weather (boots appear when the weather gets cold, but thankfully the uggs have mostly disappeared), proving that there is a distaff counterpart to the "scruffy college student" look.

While I still dress decently for church, is it worth it to dress better for school? I think I made more tips at my job when I dressed nicer (but wow, was it hard to get around with dress shoes and jeans, especially when I was shuttling carts at high 90° temperatures) but I don't think it has that much of an impact otherwise. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment