Friday, October 15, 2010

Ubuntu

I decided to try Ubuntu, based on a few suggestions. I didn't install it on my computer, rather, I burned it on a CD-R. A few things:

1) It took an eternity to start up, compared to my Mac. Maybe it was because I boot from a CD, but it still was aggravating.
2) I couldn't set up the Internet. I think I need to check my wireless settings...and it wasn't especially clear-cut.
3) The interface was a bizarre combination of Windows, Mac OS X, and even hints of the old Mac OS. Finder windows resembled both Windows and Mac, there was something that was analogous to the old Mac OS Apple menu, the clock and wireless functions on the top right of the screen (just like a Mac) and minimized windows on the bottom (just like Windows).
4) I decided to hit restart, but restart inadvertently caused the CD to be ejected, putting a grinding halt to Ubuntu's processes, and forcing a hard reset. Whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment