Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Season for Classic Mac Gaming

My iMac currently sits dormant underneath a nearby desk. It won't play Yoot Tower right anyway, one of my favorite games around this time, as old memories bubble back up from those glorious weeks in 2003. Short, but glorious. And that's pretty much the last key to that sort of thing. Basilisk II is on the Mac side of the computer (I'm posting this from the Windows side), but it has all sorts of quirks, and based on my experience trying to run SheepShaver (I tried twice, yet still no dice), I really don't want to attempt to put Basilisk II on the Windows side (it might work, since BasiII was meant for Windows), even then, it won't be synced to the Mac side unless I do some complex replacing of the disks that were updated. I might end up trying it though. Yoot Tower won't run on Basilisk (I believe Yoot Tower requires PPC)

Macintosh Garden is down again, with the Drupal "Site off-line" page up again, which means I can't contact my fellow classic Mac aficionados either.

Meanwhile, even IIGS gaming on the Mac side is limited (mono sound means it only comes out one speaker, apparently) and I can't use joysticks (which is admittedly OS X's fault).

I'd like to continue my iMac project, which I'd like to talk about and pick up, which I can't do because Mac Garden's offline. Basically: I'm a bit depressed that I can't continue what I consider to be a tradition, and all I have is a shadow of what I did.

Ah well. At least there's still Nintendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment